We are looking forward to lighting our second candle this week! We hope to all light our second candle, the candle of Peace, together on Saturday, December 4th during the video at 6pm. However, if that time frame doesn’t work for you, that’s totally ok. The video will be available anytime after that! If you received one of our advent kits, we encourage you to begin today reading the daily devotionals. Each day of Advent you will find a brief reflection to prepare our hearts in celebration of Jesus first arrival as a baby on Christmas Day, and in anticipation of His return as the Mighty God who will make all things new. If you didn’t get an advent kit, below you’ll find scriptures, prayers, and some other tools to help you participate in Advent below.
He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet:
“A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.
Every valley shall be filled in,
every mountain and hill made low.
The crooked roads shall become straight,
the rough ways smooth.
And all people will see God’s salvation.’
And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
His government and its peace
will never end.
He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David
for all eternity.
We are in desperate need of your peace. Jesus, please reign within my heart and over my life so that I may experience true peace. Help me to be a peace maker in my family and my community. Fulfill your promise of peace in our world. Heal the deep divides among us. Forgive us for our inability to live in peace. We invite the Prince of Peace to come. Let his peace begin in us.
• How would you describe peace?
• When have you experienced peace?
• When people around you aren’t getting along, what do you usually do?
• What is the difference between a peace-maker and a peace-keeper? Which do you think we are called to be?
• Do you feel “at peace”? Where would you like to experience more peace?
• How can we be carriers of God’s peace this week?
• Jesus is the Prince of Peace and Isaiah tells us that where ever Jesus reigns there will be unending peace. Have you asked Jesus to be the king of your heart? Have you invited him to be the one in charge in your life?
Back to Advent Page