HOW WE BECAME NEW LIFE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
For over fifty years, God has truly been at work within our church.
In 1948, a small group of devoted believers began to meet together with a common vision – to be used by God to build His kingdom together. Through pursuit of that vision, a new Community Church in Grover City was formed, under the leadership of a woman known as Sister Marion Hammond. The original congregation did not meet in a church building, but held worship services in people’s homes.
In 1949, the congregation joined the Nazarene denomination and became known as the Grover City Church of the Nazarene. In those days, the church was located in a small building on Ramona Avenue in Grover Beach, next to the Fire Station. People came and filled the building morning and evening. Cars lined the frontage road. For Sunday School, classes were held in what had been the old parsonage on the property and in the hallways of the Church building.
As the church began to grow, it became obvious that we needed to build. The former property was sold and, in early 1966, ground was broken on a new site located at Newport Ave. and Oak Park Blvd. in Grover City. Once again, God’s blessing was evident as our church family continued to grow and a new worship center was built and dedicated in 1979.
In 1987, God called upon our church family to relocate once again and build a new facility. Through obedience to that call, we moved to our present location on James Way in Pismo Beach and our church was renamed NEW LIFE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE. The dedication of the new facility was held on Easter Sunday, April 19, 1987.
May all who come behind us find us faithful. May the fire of our devotion light their way. May the footprints that we leave inspire them to believe.